About ROAR

My photo
Boston, Mass., United States
ROAR, which stands for Renaissance of a reader, is the rebirth of readers at O'Bryant High school.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Gay America (pgs. 32-64)

Summary: In the next few sub sections the history of homosexuality is being reflected. During the 1920s, homosexuality had become drawn to Paris. Many homosexual American citizens formed groups in Paris, developing something like a subculture within a culture. A lesbian writer named Natalie Clifford Barney made Paris her home to openly express herself. Barney was open about being lesbian and having many lovers. Barney took a trip to the Greek Islands of Lesbos with the intentions of creating a lesbian school of poetry. Quote:"Lesbian writer Natalie Clifford Barney once stated, 'Paris has always seemed to me the only city where you can live and express yourself as you please." Reaction: When I read about Natalie Barney, I thought that she is someone that showed a good example of homosexuality. What Natalie does is she keeps to herself, yet tries to be the beneficiary for others. Natalie actually tries to create a school teaching lesbians poetry. This shocked me because I never thought of homosexuals as trying to help anyone else. To me, homosexuals already have enough on their plate without being bothered by anything else. What i like about Natalie and what I aspire about Natalie is that regardless of her situation, she still helps others.

No comments:

Post a Comment