About ROAR

My photo
Boston, Mass., United States
ROAR, which stands for Renaissance of a reader, is the rebirth of readers at O'Bryant High school.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Gay America (pgs. 1-32)

Summary: Linas Alsenas's reason for writing a book about homosexuals, was to get the idea out to more people. What many may not know about homosexuals...is a lot. There are many different stereotypes that have been established about homosexuals, and this book is used to prove them wrong. What people may not think about often is that homosexuals shape America. Homosexuality had dated back for beyond 2010. The first sub article represented in Gay America was about a female that had killed someone because they wanted to talk her from her girlfriend. This crime occured in Memphis, Tennessee 1892; even back then, being homosexual was a crime. Alice felt that the oly way to stay with her girlfriend was by eliminating the person that tried to drive them apart. Even in the 1890's homosexuals were misunderstood, as they are today. Quote:"Gays and lesbians play a very prominent role in American life today, whether grabbing headlines over political gains, starring in and being the subject of movies and televison shows, or filling the streets of nearly every major city to celebrate Gay Pride very year." (Alsenas 4). Reaction: When I first read the article about Alice Mitchell killing someone just to be with the woman that she loves, I thought she was crazy. I thought about the situation if i was placed in it. Knowing how many people felt about homosexuality in the 1890's, I would not have drawn attention to myself by killing the woman I love. As I kept reading the article, I began to chnage my whole my mindset about what Alice did. Alice had felt incredibly strong about Freda Ward, enough to kill for her. I would not have personally killed for this woman that I loved, but I could see where Alice was coming from.

No comments:

Post a Comment